Written by Potluck Admin
Editor’s note: This blog has been updated in May 2020.
We’re so used to reading on our mobile devices these days that emojis are now just part of the deal. 🤷🏻♀️ Depending on your brand, emojis can be a fun way to increase engagement, a clever way to format your content, and a way to catch the eyes of your viewers in an endless feed of content 👀.
Don’t know how to add them on a desktop computer? Here’s a quick emoji keyboard shortcut that makes adding emoticons to social content, or whatever you’re writing on your desktop, so much easier!
Emoji Keyboard Shortcut for an Apple Computer
If you do happen to use an Apple computer 🍎, here’s the impressive 2-step trick that your friends don’t know.
- With your cursor in the spot you want to type an emoji, push ctrl+cmd+space.
- When the “Characters” panel pops up, find the emoji you want and double-click on it.
Emoji Keyboard Shortcut for a Windows Computer
Windows users, don’t despair! You have a few more steps, but it’s not hard.
- Right-click on the taskbar, choose “Toolbars” and click on “Touch Keyboard.”
- Find the Touch Keyboard icon in the lower right corner of the screen and open it.
- Where you would expect to find the “Option” key, you’ll see a smiley face instead. Click it.
- Voila! Single-click any emoji to insert it where you are typing.
Some of our favorite ways to use emojis in marketing
➡️ Toss a relevant one into a sentence to catch the eye.
➡️ Use to convey emotion – happy! Sad! Worried! That is so adorable! 🧐
➡️ Respond to fan comments. 💬
➡️ Insert a playful mood into content. 🦄
➡️ Use to create a fun bullet point in a list for ads or social media posts.
How will you use the little yellow faces and their friends?
If you’re looking for more resources, try this shortlist of relevant blogs for assistance + subscribe to our newsletter to receive our handy emails with more how-to’s and marketing tactics. Click the blue “Newsletter” tab at the bottom of your screen.